The sun is beating down, the waves are swelling in the ocean. You can feel the sand grains between your toes. It’s a perfect day… almost. To put it over the edge, you need a comfortable folding chair for your kids. A good folding chair will let your family milk that day for all it’s worth.
If you’re out on the beach or by the campfire, a folding chair can make or break the night. After just a little while, squatting on the sand or pine needles can get pretty uncomfortable. With a folding chair, you can sit all night long and enjoy the outdoors. When it comes to kids, a folding chair is even more important. Though children can seem to sit on the uncomfortable ground for hours at a time, being without a folding chair on a beach day or camping trip might end up costing you complaints from tired and sore children.
There are countless folding chair options for adults. You can find everything from full-on reclining loungers to simple fold-out stools that can fit on a bicycle. For kids, the options are a little more limited. They also seem to be a little less sturdy. For whatever reason, kids folding chairs are notoriously poor quality. However, they are no less important.
To help make things a little easier, we’ve put together a complete guide to the best folding chairs for kids out there in 2021. All of the chairs on our list are quality items. We surveyed the market, scoured reviews, and sought out customer feedback. After taking a thorough look, we managed to put together a shortlist for you to pick from.
What To Look For In A Folding Chair
If you’re in the market for a good-quality folding chair, there are certain things that you should know to look for. These are the characteristics and features that distinguish a great chair from an ordinary chair. If you keep your eyes out for them, you’ll be well-positioned to select the best chair.
- Lightweight: Kids should be able to carry their own folding chairs. Otherwise, what’s the point? If your child finds it difficult to move their folding chair around, it is going to end up being a burden rather than a blessing to them. When you’re looking for a new folding chair for your kids, keep an eye on how much it weighs. It will save you a lot of trouble somewhere, later on down the line.
- Easy to fold: This is one of the most important aspects of a folding chair. It should be pretty easy to fold. Otherwise, your folding chair might fall victim to the unfortunate situation that many camping chairs find themselves in – perpetually folded in the corner of the garage. You want a chair that isn’t a hassle. If you have to fuss and work to get your chair set up or put away, chances are you’ll stop using it pretty quickly. For your kids, this is even more true.
- Comfortable: Don’t overlook comfort for practicality. For one thing, there is nothing less practical than a chair that nobody wants to sit in. A good folding chair should be comfortable as well as easy to fold and portable. Your kids are far more likely to use a chair that they find comfortable than one that is rigid and hard. Make sure to account for this aspect when you are looking at new folding chairs to buy for your next camping trip or beach day this summer.
- Good size: You’ll want a folding chair to be a good size. A chair that is too small is uncomfortable and can be difficult to sit on. Likewise, a chair that is too large is a problem. A big and bulky chair defeats the purpose of a folding chair – portability. Ensure that the folding chair is big enough to accommodate your child’s inevitable growth spurt but not so large that it does not fit them. This middle ground is sometimes hard to find.
- Affordable: This is especially true with folding chairs for kids. You want to make sure that the chair you buy is at a reasonable price. These days, some folding chairs cost an arm and a leg. There’s no sense in forking out a huge amount of money for a folding chair that your child will outgrow in a few years. Instead, you should find a good middle ground between a quality chair and an affordable price point. Inlay man’s terms, look for the best bang for your buck.
Best Folding Chairs For Kids
Overview: When it comes to outdoor gear, few names are as recognizable as L.L. Bean. This company makes everything from socks and parkas to chairs and backpacks. The L.L. Bean Kids’ Base Camp Chair is a reliable and rugged armchair.
- Mesh back
- Steel frame
- Reinforced fabric
Our Take: This is one of the best folding chairs out there for kids right now. It is durable, light, rugged, and comfortable. If you’re looking for an armchair-style folding chair for kids, you can’t go wrong with this.
Overview: Quest’s Junior Chair is a fun and lightweight option at a fair price.
- Very affordable
- Easy to fold
- Very light
Our Take: This is kind of a more affordable option of our first item. It is a lightweight and lower-cost alternative for people who want something that gets the job done without breaking the bank.
Overview: While not quite of the same caliber as some of our more rugged options, this is a solid and reliable folding chair with a fun, kid-friendly design.
- Double cup holder
- Fun pattern and design
- Headrest for comfort
Our Take: This one’s for all the kids who love unicorns, narwhals, or mermaids. It is a comfortable and fun answer to your folding chair problems. It also features a double cup holder and a comfortable headrest on the back. If you’re looking for something a little more lighthearted, you can’t go wrong with the Kaboer Kids Outdoor Folding Lawn and Camping Chair.
Overview: Here’s another playful option designed for younger children. This is a fun chair with great support. It is comfortable and easy to fold. To top it off, it comes with a carrying bag and the ability to personalize the chair.
- Really fun design
- Low riding seat
- Leg rests
Our Take: This one is for anyone who wants to have fun with their seating arrangement. The chair has a playful and fun design. It also rides low to the ground, which is great for young kids and is very comfortable. We loved the leg supports included for the younger toddlers out there.
Overview: This chair is for your littlest littles, an outdoor folding chair designed to be used by kids as young as six months old. It is fun, very light, and perfect for taking your baby to the beach.
- Safety harness
- Booster seat
- Eating tray
- Designed for babies
Our Take: If you have a baby, this is the chair to buy. The Summer Infant Pop and Sit is an adorable and handy thing to have lying around in case you want to take your baby out with you on a beach day or picnic. It includes a safety harness and a tray for eating food and is one of our favorite folding chair options. The only downside that we can see is that kids will grow out of it fairly quickly.
Overview: Coleman is another name with a solid reputation for outdoor gear. This kid’s chair is on par with the rest of their items. It is a comfortable and convenient answer to your folding chair needs.
- Glow in the dark lining
- Easy to fold
- Low back designed for kids
Our Take: This is another one of our favorites. Coleman’s Kids Quad Chair is a really solid and easy to fold camping chair. It is fitted with a handy cup holder and is pretty lightweight, considering the durable construction. If you’re looking for a high-quality chair to last for years, we recommend checking out the Coleman Kids Quad.
Overview: This chair is handy and fun with its umbrella, cup holder, and a playful shabby chic design. While the umbrella tends to run small for the beach, it will do the job for most kids.
- Carry bag
- Rustproof legs
- Cup holder
- 6 playful color options
Our Take: If you’re planning to give your chair a heck of a beating, we don’t recommend this one. However, if you’re looking for a fun chair for your kids to sit in and carry around, this is a great choice. It has a fun and playful design, rust-proof legs, and comes with its own carry bag.
Overview: A unique twist on the classic beach lounger. This chair rides low to the earth and provides a comfortable seat for kids of all ages. It is easy to fold, compact, and light. As a result, it is a perfect option for self-sufficient kids.
- Very unique and cool design
- Low to earth and comfortable
Our Take: We think that this is a pretty cool option. If you like riding low to the earth, these loungers are the way to go. They are comfortable, fun, and great for kids. If you’re in the market for a beach chair, we can’t recommend this option more highly. If you’re looking for a chair for the campfire, you may want something with a little more lift.
Overview: The Wilcor Kids Folding Camp Chair With Cup Holder and Carry Bag is another excellent choice. It is designed to be a fun alternative to the fairly standard design of most folding chairs. As a result, it comes with several different thematic options.
- Fun themed designs
- Comfortable chair
Our Take: Other than the fun thematic options, this is a pretty straightforward chair. If you’re looking for a practical folding chair for the kids, this is a solid choice. Because of its unique thematic designs, it is a little more fun than your average folding chair. Your kids might appreciate this!
Well, that’s just about everything we know about folding chairs. Hopefully, you now have a better sense of the things to look for in a folding chair, the best folding chairs for kids out there, and how to make up your mind when buying folding chairs.
A folding chair can make the difference between a heartwarming memory that will last years and a failed beach day that you try to forget about within the week. If you’re looking for folding chairs for your kids, some of the best options include the Melissa & Doug Folding Beach Chair for Kids, the Coleman Kids Quad Chair, the Pottery Barn Kids Beach Lounger, and the L.L. Beans Base Camp Chair.
When making a buying decision, remember to keep an eye out for a lightweight chair with good hinges. You also want to find a comfortable chair, a good size, and affordable. As a bonus, remember that you can’t go wrong with a cup holder, either. If you remember to look out for those attributes, you’ll do just fine. Now, go on, pick a chair, and get back out there into the sun!