Summer is officially upon us, and lockdown restrictions are easing, which probably means you and your family are excited to hit the outdoors and enjoy the gorgeous weather. But if you’re daydreaming of the beach or camping in the sun – don’t forget to pack a baby beach tent.
Children need more sun protection than adults. And it’s advised by professionals that babies under six months should not be in direct sunlight. If you plan to hit the beach with your family this summer and have an infant in your care, you should invest in a baby beach tent.
With so many tents on the market, it may be overwhelming to find the best baby beach tent for the summer. We’ve scoured through reviews and have formulated a list of the 12 best baby beach tents for summer 2021. Keep reading to discover the list of the best and FAQs about baby beach tents!
12 Best Beach Tents
- Best Overall Tent – Sunba Youth Portable Tent
- Best Budget Tent – Sunba Baby Tent
- Best Style Tent – Buenavo Baby Beach Tent
- Best Baby Pool Tent – Bend River Baby Pool Tent
- Best UPF 50+ Tent – Monobeach UV Protection Tent
- Best Indoor & Outdoor Tent – Overcrest Portable Tent
- Best Cabana Tent – WolfWise Pop Up Tent
- Best Napping Tent – Fisher-Price On-the-Go Baby Dome
- Best Multifunctional Tent – FBSPORT Baby Beach Tent
- Best Play Shade – Babymoov Anti-UV Tent
- Best Automatic Pop-Up Tent – Bend River Pop Up Tent
- Best Classic Tent – Sumelay Shade Tent
Baby Beach Tents: Reviews
1. Best Overall Tent – Sunba Youth Portable Tent
This sun tent will be the perfect haven for your little one when you’re out at the beach. It doesn’t require any assembly and pops right up in 3 seconds, and is easy to fold back up once you’re ready to go home. It uses certified high-quality material and is non-toxic and eco-friendly, proving to be a safe choice for your baby. The tent comes with a special silver-coated fabric that will protect your infant from harmful sun rays and has a UV rating of 50+. It’s almost like a portable crib where your baby will be able to doze off peacefully while you sunbathe right next to them!
- UPF 50+
- No assembly is required
- Has a mosquito net
- Mesh on all sides to keep cool
- Made of eco-friendly and non-toxic material
- Some find it confusing to fold up
- Slightly expensive
2. Best Budget Tent – Sunba Baby Tent
This cute baby tent will turn heads at the beach. Not only is it affordable, but it’s also highly rated and checks off all the requirements of a baby beach tent! Keep in mind it’s designed for babies and infants under the age of 3. In the middle of the tent, there is a mini pool that you can fill with water so that your baby can play in it instead of you holding them to dip their toes in beach water.
- UPF 50+ sun protection
- Automatic pop up assembly
- Has a mini pool so baby can play
- May be difficult to fold back up
- May need stronger anchors
3. Best Style Tent – Buenavo Baby Beach Tent
When you stroll onto the beach with this tent, you’ll be getting questioned by a lot of other parents on where you got it! It comes in two colors and is lightweight to carry around when you’re trying to find the perfect place to set up. It has an automatic pop-up design, and it can fold down in seconds once you’re done. It even has a little mini-pool in the middle, so your baby doesn’t have to miss out on any water action!
- UPF 50+ protection
- Roller shutters on the back for ventilation
- Automatic pop up
- Mini pool included
- Some complain that it’s not very durable
4. Best Baby Pool Tent – Bend River Baby Pool Tent
This cute sun tent is the perfect shelter for your baby this summer! It uses only safe materials and keeps your baby from having a sunburn and soak in the built-in mini pool. There are windows on both sides so that the breeze can go through the tent. You can close the screen door completely if you choose to keep out sand and mosquitoes. This tent is hands down the best, giving your baby a chance to enjoy the water without actually going into seawater!
- UPF 50+ sun protection
- Built-in mini pool is completely safe
- Good ventilation through side windows
- Setting up the pegs in the sand may take time
- Folding it up is difficult for some
5. Best UPF 50+ Tent – Monobeach UV Protection Tent
This highly rated baby tent is the ultimate sun shelter for your infant. The bottom of the mini pool will allow your little one to play around in the water without you having to take them to the seaside. There is no assembly required, and the 50+ UV protection will give your baby a blissful time at the beach right alongside you!
- Great UV protection
- Anchors keep the tent from blowing away
- Air vent allows the breeze to follow through
- Lightweight and portable
- May be too small if you have a taller infant
- Closing the tent takes some practice
6. Best Indoor & Outdoor Tent – Overcrest Portable Tent
Ever wanted to find a lightweight, compact baby tent that you can use on sandy beaches, but also in your living room or for camping in your backyard? Look no further, this portable tent is for indoors and outdoors! Affordable and with high ratings, this tent will protect newborns from sun, sand, and bugs. It is made of UPF 50+ nylon fabric and has a breathable mesh that will allow your baby to breathe freely. It withstands the elements over time and is the perfect addition to all the adventures you take with your little one!
- 50+ UPF sun protection
- Compact and portable to carry and store
- Made of superior quality material
- Not just for the beach – can be used even as a crib at home
- Made for smaller babies under the ages of 2-3
- Have to take proper care so as not to break the anchors
7. Best Cabana Tent – WolfWise Pop Up Tent
This genius cabana tent is the perfect size to fit a newborn and mom and dad! It comes with an innovative design to keep the tent down – sandbags you can fill and tighten with string. The automatic pop-up tent uses polyester and eco-friendly material that blocks up to 98% of the sun’s harmful rays. You can use this cabana tent at the beach or the park during sunny days, backyard BBQs, and any playgroups your infant attends! Ensure that the entire family beats the sun with this miracle pop-up tent!
- UPF 50+ protection
- Bigger than other tents
- Innovative sandbag design to weigh down – don’t need peg anchors
- Eco-friendly and baby-safe materials used
- May be hard to fold back up
- Might get flimsy in strong winds
8. Best Napping Tent – Fisher-Price On-the-Go Baby Dome
Does your baby follow a strict napping schedule? With this napping tent, parents can enjoy their beach day without worrying about their baby being too fussy to sleep! This #1 bestseller has two functions in one – a play space and a comfy napping spot. Perfectly portable to bring with you to the beach or on picnics, this dome tent will keep your baby cozy and ready to get some shut-eye! It folds flat and even has handles for easy transportation! You’re going to have to try it out for yourself to see what all the hype is about!
- #1 best seller on Amazon with 5-star reviews
- Playspace and napping area all in one
- Canopy serves as a tent and shade from the sun
- Much easier to fold than other baby tents
- Most ideal for babies that are less than 8 months
- Bottom might be flimsy, and you may need to add extra blankets
9. Best Multifunctional Tent – FBSPORT Baby Beach Tent
Is your baby starting to walk and won’t lay down in a tent? This unique 2-in-1 pop-up tent serves as a pool and a ball pit playhouse! You can use it outdoors on the beach and fill it up with some water so your walking or crawling little one can enjoy time in the water with a permanent shade over their head. It’s super portable and quick to assemble. It comes with a detachable sunshade to keep your baby from harmful sun rays. Having a multifunctional tent will ensure that your baby never gets tired from playing outdoors or indoors!
- Detachable sunshade
- 2-in-1 tent can be used indoors and outdoors
- Tent can be filled up with water
- Pop up assembly
- May be flimsy in the wind
10. Best Play Shade – Babymoov Anti-UV Tent
This tent is a showstopper, and everyone will notice. Its high ratings prove why it’s such a hit with parents far and wide. This large tent creates the perfect play area for your baby and lets you protect them from the sun and other elements. It has a pop-up system which makes it simple to fold and unfold. And it has strong UV protection – hence the name of the tent – to keep your child’s skin protected from 99% of harmful UV rays. It has a mesh roll-up netting that protects your infant from mosquitoes and other bugs while keeping it nice and cool through proper ventilation!
- Highly rated
- Anti-UV rating of 50 UPF
- Large play shade area for more than one infant
- Some struggle with folding it back up
- Not great in high winds
11. Best Automatic Pop-Up Tent – Bend River Pop Up Tent
This compact automatic pop-up tent is the perfect spot to let your baby hang out while you soak in the sun! This tent uses strong polyester and non-toxic material and is 100% safe to place your baby in from getting sunburned. You can set this tent up in seconds, and it comes with four pegs to securely fix it into the sand.
- UPF 50+
- Quick pop-up setup
- Built-in mini pool
- May be too small for infants over 1 year old
12. Best Classic Tent – Sumelay Shade Tent
On the lookout for a non-fussy classic baby tent? This pop-up canopy tent will be the perfect addition to your beach day! With an easy set-up and fold-down, this tent requires no assembly and has UPF 50+ sun protection. It will perfectly protect both your baby and even you from strong sunshine. It’s big enough for you to sit in with your little one. It comes with a back-mesh and a mesh window which is great for airflow. If you want a more classic and basic tent, this is the way to go!
- UPF 50+
- Instant set up
- Great ventilation
- May be hard to fold up for some
FAQs about Babies & Beaches
Q: Are beach tents safe for babies?
When you’re looking for a baby tent, make sure you purchase one that clearly states “ultraviolet UPF protection”. The highest standard which will be perfect for your kids is UPF 50+. Be on the lookout for this when you’re choosing your baby tent.
Q: How do you shade a baby at the beach?
Babies under six months old should not be in direct sunlight and need to be protected. While at the beach, shade your baby using a beach tent or umbrella. Remember – direct sunlight is a firm no-go!
Q: How do you fold a baby beach tent?
Folding baby beach tents is a tricky business! One glance at reviews, and you’ll come to realize how much people struggle with folding it back up. The best bet is to watch a few Youtube videos and practice before you go out on your beach day. It will get easier with practice!
Q: Do UV beach tents work?
If you’re going to spend hours in the sun, protection against UV rays is an absolute must! There are many beach tents on the market, but a UV tent offers protection from harmful rays for you and your family. UB beach tents provide the best protection from direct sunlight, and for that reason, they do work in keeping your skin safe.
Bringing a baby tent to the beach is crucial to ensure that your baby is fully protected and ready to enjoy their beach day. There are so many baby tents on the market that are either multifunctional – can be used indoors and outdoors – or that have mini pools so your baby can enjoy water play as well.
Baby beach tents provide the ultimate shade to keep your baby’s skin protected and a safe space free of sand to lay your baby down in for a diaper change or to take their afternoon nap!
Hopefully, this list helps narrow down the selection for your family, and you’ll choose the baby beach tent that best suits your baby’s needs. Enjoy the weather and some much-need family time!